Test Technology Engineer
London, United Kingdom
Primary role purpose:
We are looking for a motivated, passionate, and professional individual to join our Platform Engineering Lab team as a Test Technology Engineer (Connectivity Test Lab). The successful candidate will help maintain, build, and grow a set of satellite communications, maritime and aircraft systems labs across the Platform team. These labs support development projects relating to airborne and seaborne satellite communications. Help Viasat as the Platforms teams build next generation satellite terminals and connectivity software.
This is a hands-on role working in the lab, you will need to be in the lab at least two days per week, more if possible. The Lab Team has a goal to have at least one member of the team at the lab site each working day. But scheduling will be flexible. We maintain multiple independent systems used by our platform engineering teams and need to keep them all running and accessible. This role may require occasional travel, including international travel.
- Assisting in building and maintaining our Lab hardware, software and infrastructure;
- Developing a technical understanding of our environment setup, identifying required configuration changes based on knowledge of a given solution;
- Provide technical support to the other teams, troubleshooting and diagnosing issues with the environment and our solutions. Effectively communicating issues to management and higher-level technical support;
- Close liaison with other Platform Engineering teams to meet requirements, support their priorities and comply with deadlines;
- Help source appropriate technical equipment for the engineering test lab requirements;
- Use scripting / programming skills and trouble shooting skills to build tools and utilities for efficiently solving problems and completing tasks;
- Creating and Maintaining diagrams, documentation and guides related to lab infrastructure, setup and processes;
- Ensure that reporting is accurate and provided in a timely manner;
- Schedule and prioritize your own tasks without micromanagement from above.
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
This position is a hands-on engineering role and requires practical experience and understanding in the following areas:
- Have completed a degree in a technical subject (Engineering/Physics/Computing/Networking/etc.);
- Basic knowledge of commercial avionics systems (115v/400Hz, ARINC standards, A600 Connectors, Quadrax, trays etc.);
- Understanding of AC and DC power systems;
- A practical, trained engineer with skills including the ability to run and terminate cables in a lab environment including cable fabrication;
- Mechanically adept with a good working knowledge and understanding of electronics;
- Experience in reading and developing schematics as well as working with detailed technical documentation and specifications;
- Understanding of electrical cable types and limitations (UV, LSF, LSOH, current, voltage, shielding, isolation, etc.);
- Able to effectively work with others to resolve issues and able to suggest and develop practical, rapid solutions for day-to-day issues;
- Problem solving: You know how to apply your skills, and the resources and skills of the team to the problems and tasks we take on;
- Continuous Improvement: You look for opportunities to improve yourself, and our processes as you solve problems, you bring improvement proposals to the Lab Manager and the team;
- Proactive Mindset: As you work, you’re looking out for future problems, flaws in a project, and look for ways to fix them before they cause disruption;
- Able to work autonomously, with the ability to independently manage and prioritise own tasks;
- Quick thinking and delivery focused with meticulous attention to detail;
- Understanding of software development and integration lifecycles;
- Hands on experience of networking protocols;
- Great knowledge of Linux OS.
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience with Cisco and Juniper equipment;
- Experience of developing/working in an aviation connectivity and/or SATCOM lab environment;
- Understanding of radio frequency (RF) systems and components;
- Prior knowledge of the satellite communication industry;
- Prior knowledge of satellite ground networks;
- Prior experience in formal technical test campaigns;
- Experience with Python;
- Experience with JIRA and Confluence for task tracking, reporting, and documentation of systems.
Don't forget to mention EuroTechJobs when applying.