FullStack Java Web Developer
EMBL - European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Organisation data: IT Services
Job Number: HD02528
Contract Type: Staff Member
Advertised Grade-Grading: 6 or 7; depending on qualifications and experience (monthly salary starting from 4.3k-4.9k€ after tax, plus other paid benefits)
Contract Duration-Length of Time (years/months): 3 years (renewable)
Closing date: 15 March 2024
About the team/job
We are Europe's flagship research laboratory for the life sciences - an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with approx. 2 000 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
The EMBL IT Services team operates the IT infrastructure and related services at the EMBL headquarters in Heidelberg and the laboratory's sites in Barcelona, Rome, Grenoble, and Hamburg. IT is a fundamental tool for modern scientific research and its importance is recognised by the scientific community at EMBL.
We are looking for a highly motivated Web Developer with a universal skill set to join the IT Services team at EMBL Heidelberg, reporting both to the Manager of the Software and Solutions Development Team, as well as the Head of Internal Scientific Training (EICAT).
The selected candidate will be responsible for maintaining and developing specialised software applications, as well as managing the server infrastructure and database installations of the EMBL International Centre for Advanced Training (EICAT), the EMBL International PhD Programme (EIPP), and EMBL Interdisciplinary Postdocs (EIPOD).
Main responsibilities will include:
- the design and implementation of web applications based on Java/Spring technology and the Vaadin platform;
- software lifecycle management from analysis to maintenance of the delivered solutions;
- working closely with and providing support to the EICAT department;
- continuous evaluation, adaptation, and possible re-implementation of solutions we provide, with regard to changing requirements.
- a completed degree in computer science or equivalent qualification;
- at least 3 years of professional experience in developing web applications based on Java technology;
- familiarity with using component-based Java frameworks, ideally Vaadin;
- a solid background in areas such as OO Design Patterns, Spring, Hibernate/JPA, Maven, principles of continuous-integration, and deployment with GitLab, Docker and Kubernetes;
- sound knowledge of principles of database design, SQL and some basic knowledge of Elasticsearch, user directory, and authentication services (LDAP);
- a service-oriented attitude, good organisational skills and the ability to work to tight deadlines;
- good interpersonal and communication skills and excellent working knowledge of English.
You might also have
- knowledge of Tomcat server administration and Linux system management;
- German or French language skills.
Why join us
Do something meaningful:
At EMBL you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind's greatest challenges. EMBL conducts world-class excellent biological research, provides advanced training for students and scientists, and provides state-of-the-art technologies for a wide range of scientific and experimental services.
Join a culture of innovation:
This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported, and empowered to reach their professional potential. We are located in Heidelberg, a scientific hub in Germany, and home to several internationally renowned research facilities adjacent to its world-famous university. Heidelberg is also a popular tourist destination due to its romantic cityscape, including the Heidelberg Castle, the beautiful Baroque old town, amongst others.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, a comprehensive pension scheme, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work, and unemployment insurances;
- Flexible working arrangements;
- Certified training and continued development of your professional, and personal skills;
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family;
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year;
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required);
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, subsidized canteen and cafeteria, on-site library, casual dress code, extensive sports, and social club activities;
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave and monthly family, and child allowances;
- Benefits for non-German newcomers: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year, and a monthly non-resident allowance.
What else you need to know
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions;
- The working language of the institute is English;
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought, therefore we welcome all individuals to apply;
- Job location: This role is based in Heidelberg, Germany. You will be required to relocate if you are based elsewhere and you will receive a generous relocation package to support you;
- How to apply: To apply, please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system;
- Discover more about working with EMBL IT Services at embl.org/itservices.
Don't forget to mention EuroTechJobs when applying.